Choosing the right hairstyle is crucial to make a statement and showcase the best version of yourself. The shape of your face plays a significant role in determining which hairstyle suits you the best. However, there are other factors to consider such as hair texture, the thickness of hair, and personal preference. In this article, we will discuss different facial shapes and hairstyles that complement them, helping you make a wise decision.
Understanding Your Facial Shape:
Before jumping on to hairstyles, it is crucial to understand your facial shape. Everyone has unique facial features, and it’s essential to understand them to create balance and harmony. Here are the six common facial shapes:
1. Oval Shaped Face:
An oval-shaped face is tops the list of the most versatile face shapes. It has a balanced proportion of the forehead, jawline, and cheekbones, making it ideal for most hairstyles.
Hairstyles that suit an oval shaped face:
• Pixie Cut: A layered or messy pixie cut looks chic and stylish on an oval face.
• Long Layers: Long layers that fall below the shoulder look beautiful on an oval face.
• Bob cut: A blunt bob cut or an asymmetrical bob cut looks fantastic on an oval face.
2. Round Shaped Face:
A round-shaped face has a rounded forehead, wide cheekbones, and a rounded chin, giving a circular appearance. The key is to create an illusion of height and sharpness to draw attention.
Hairstyles that suit a round shaped face:
• Long Layers: Long layers that add volume around the crown give height to the face.
• Angled Bob: An angled bob that falls below the chin emphasizes cheekbones.
• Pixie Cut: A choppy or layered pixie cut that adds height around the crown balances around face shape.
3. Square Shaped Face:
A square-shaped face has a square forehead, strong jawline, and straight cheekbones. The ideal hairstyle is one that softens the angularity of the face.
Hairstyles that suit a square shaped face:
• Layers with Waves: Layers with waves that fall below the shoulder soften forehead and jawline.
• Side Part: A side part with slightly tousled waves break up the straight lines and takes attention off the forehead.
• Bob Cut: A chin-length bob with light waves that fall inwards soften the strong jawline.
4. Heart Shaped Face:
A heart-shaped face has a broad forehead, tapered jawline, and a narrow chin. The ideal hairstyle is one that minimizes the forehead and volume around the jawline and cheekbones.
Hairstyles that suit a heart shaped face:
• Side-swept Bangs: Side-swept bangs and long curly hair that falls below the shoulder minimize the forehead.
• Lob Cut: A long bob cut that falls around the collar bone camouflages the forehead and narrows down the jawline.
• Layered Medium Length Hair: Layered hair falling below the shoulder makes the face appear more oval.
5. Diamond Shaped Face:
A diamond-shaped face has wide cheekbones, narrow forehead, and jawline. The ideal hairstyle is one that balances the width of the cheekbones and jaw.
Hairstyles that suit a diamond shaped face:
• Pixie Cut: A classic pixie cut that has a lot of volume on the top looks stylish and balances the cheekbones and jawline.
• Layered Cut: A layered cut that falls below the shoulder and adds volume to the temple and crown looks amazing.
• Side-swept Bangs: Side-swept Bangs that draw attention to the eyes and cheekbones balance the narrow forehead and jawline.
6. Oblong Shaped Face:
An oblong-shaped face is longer than it is wide, with a straight forehead, jawline, and cheekbones. The ideal hairstyle is one that adds width to balance the length of the face.
Hairstyles that suit an oblong shaped face:
• Bangs: A side-swept fringe or blunt bangs that accentuate the eyes and the cheekbones are perfect.
• Bob Cut: A chin-length bob cut looks fantastic on an oblong face and adds width around the jawline.
• Layers: Layers with waves around the chin or a collar bone length add width and volume to the face.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions):
1. Which hairstyle is suitable for fine hair?
Hairstyles with layers, texture, and volume are best suited for fine hair. A lob cut or a layered pixie cut with choppy waves works well.
2. Which hairstyle suits curly hair?
A layered bob or a long bob with layers and curls look amazing on curly hair. A pixie cut with volume on the top looks stylish and enhances the natural curls.
3. Are Bangs suitable for all face shapes?
Bangs can suit most face shapes. However, the style and length of bangs must be adjusted to complement the facial shape. Side-swept bangs are the safest option.
4. Can you pull off a drastic hairstyle change?
Yes, you can! But it is essential to keep in mind that a drastic hairstyle change requires constant maintenance and may take time to get used to. Consulting with a hairstylist is advisable to determine the best hairstyle for your face shape, hair texture, and personal preference.
5. Which hairstyle is best for a formal occasion?
A classic updo, hair pulled back in a sleek bun or a side-swept chignon look stunning for formal events. Soft curls, braids, or a twisted ponytail are also elegant options.
Your facial shape plays a significant role in determining which hairstyle suits you the best. Even more so, your hair texture, the thickness of hair, and your personal preference must also be considered. Experimenting with different hairstyles can be exciting and well worth it to find the perfect fit. Now that you understand the best hairstyles that complement your facial shape, go ahead, and make a statement with confidence!