A hairstyle can make or break your overall look. Choosing the right hairstyle that suits your face shape is crucial to looking your best. But with so many different hairstyles to choose from, it can be challenging to determine which one is the right one for you. In this article, we will explore different face shapes and the hairstyles that best suit them.
First, let’s talk about the different face shapes.
1. Oval Face Shape
The oval face shape is considered the most versatile of all the face shapes. If you are blessed with an oval face, then you can pull off most hairstyles with ease. Long hair, short hair, bangs, center parting, side parting, sleek straight hair, or curly locks, almost all hairstyles look great on an oval face. The only thing you want to avoid is covering your forehead too much.
2. Round Face Shape
A round face shape has full cheeks, a rounded jawline, and a width and length of the face that are proportionate to each other. If you have a round face, then you want to create the illusion of length in your face. Long layered hairstyles that fall past the shoulders and those that feature center parts tend to work best for round faces.
3. Square Face Shape
People with square face shapes have a strong jawline and forehead. Softening the jawline and creating a more rounded appearance is key to finding the right hairstyle for square face shapes. Long hairstyles with layers, side-swept bangs, and center parts can help make your face appear more oval.
4. Heart Face Shape
A heart-shaped face has a wider forehead and a narrow chin. Hairstyles that bring the attention away from the forehead and towards the chin area are ideal for heart-shaped faces. Side-swept bangs, long waves, slightly layered hairstyles, and chin-length bobs are great for heart-shaped faces.
5. Diamond Face Shape
People with diamond face shapes have a narrow chin and forehead, and wide cheekbones. Hairstyles that balance out the narrowness of the forehead and chin are best suited for this face shape. Side-swept bangs, layered hairstyles, and chin-length bobs are great options for diamond face shapes.
Now that you know what face shape you have let’s look at some popular hairstyles that will suit your face shape.
Hairstyles for Oval Face Shape
1. Long layers – This style brings movement and volume to the hair and is perfect for those with long or medium-length hair.
2. Bob haircuts – Bob haircuts are versatile and help to accentuate your facial features.
3. Pixie haircuts – Short hairstyles like a pixie cut complement the oval face shape well; they make the face appear less round.
Hairstyles for Round Face Shape
1. Long and layered – Long layered haircuts help elongate the face and draw attention away from the fullness of the cheeks.
2. Side-swept bangs – Fringes or bangs with side-swept volume help to make a face appear slim and narrow.
3. Asymmetrical Bob – Asymmetrical Bob is a style that falls to one side of the face and creates a slimmer look.
Hairstyles for Square Face Shape
1. Layered waves – Long waves with subtle layers work well for square faces as they soften the jawline.
2. Lob haircut – The lob haircut falls just above the shoulder and is ideal for square faces.
3. Messy Side Part – A messy side parting helps to add volume to the hair and creates a softer look.
Hairstyles for Heart Face Shape
1. Long Wavy layers – Long wavy layers help to balance out the wider forehead and give a relaxed, soft look.
2. Deep Side Parting – A deep side parting draws attention to the chin and makes the forehead look smaller.
3. Blunt Bob – A blunt bob frames the face well and works well with mid-length hair.
Hairstyles for Diamond Face Shape
1. Chin-length Bob – A chin-length bob works beautifully and balances out the narrow chin and forehead.
2. Bangs – Long bangs with a layer add dimension to the face, creating a softer look.
3. Half-up Half-down – The half-up half-down style is perfect if you want to add volume to your hair while keeping the balance ideal.
Q1. How do you determine your face shape?
To determine your face shape, take a picture of your face straight on and measure your forehead, cheekbones, and jawline. If your forehead, cheekbones, and jawline are all similar in length, you have an oval face shape. If your cheekbones are the widest part of your face and your chin is rounded, you have a round face shape. If your face is square with a strong, defined jawline, you have a square face shape. If your face is widest at the forehead and gradually narrows down to a small chin, you have a heart-shaped face. Lastly, if your face is widest at your cheekbones and narrows down at your jawline and forehead, you have a diamond face shape.
Q2. Can face shape change as you age?
No, your face shape does not change as you age. However, changes in skin elasticity and other factors may affect the way your face shape appears.
Q3. Can I wear any hairstyle, even if it doesn’t suit my face shape?
You can wear any hairstyle you like, regardless of your face shape. However, choosing a hairstyle that flatters your face shape will always result in a more pleasing overall look.
Q4. Are there any hairstyles that suit all face shapes?
The lob hairstyle works well for most face shapes and is suitable for different hair textures and lengths. The shoulder-length haircut with subtle layers is versatile and can be customized to complement different face shapes.
In conclusion, understanding your face shape is the key to making the right hairstyle decision. The style you choose can accentuate your features or work against them. Experiment with different hairstyles to find the ones that complement your face shape, personality, and style.