The pompadour hairstyle is a classic look that has been around for centuries and has gone through numerous transformations and variations. The popularity of the pompadour style peaked in the 1950s and has remained a favorite amongst men across the globe. It is a versatile look that can be customized to suit individual preferences, and it continues to remain trendy today.
What Is A Pompadour Hairstyle?
The pompadour, named after Madame de Pompadour, the mistress of King Louis XV of France in the 18th century, is a hairstyle that features hair that is swept upwards from the forehead, and worn high above the crown of the head. The hair on the sides and back of the head is usually shorter, whereas the hair on top of the head is longer and styled in a way that creates volume and height.
The pompadour is a versatile look that can be customized to suit individual preferences. Some people prefer to keep the hair on the sides and back of their head relatively short, while others prefer a more gradual fade, with the hair gradually getting shorter as it moves towards the nape of the neck. The hair on top can be styled with a range of products, including pomade, wax, and gel.
The pompadour has been a popular hairstyle amongst men for centuries. It has been worn by everyone from King Louis XV of France to Elvis Presley. The style enjoyed a resurgence in popularity in the 1950s, thanks to the likes of James Dean and Elvis Presley, and has remained popular ever since.
How To Style A Pompadour Hairstyle
The pompadour is a relatively simple hairstyle to achieve, but perfecting the style may take some practice. Here’s how to style a pompadour:
1. Start by washing your hair. The pompadour requires clean hair, so make sure to wash your hair before you start styling.
2. Towel dry your hair. Don’t use a hairdryer, as the heat can damage the hair and make it more difficult to style.
3. Apply a styling product. Use a styling product that suits your hair type and the look you are going for. Pomade is a popular choice for creating a high-shine finish, whereas wax is great for a more natural look.
4. Blow-dry your hair. Use a hairdryer to create volume and shape the hair. Blow-dry your hair from the roots to the tips, using a round brush to lift the hair.
5. Style your hair. Use your fingers or a comb to shape your hair into the desired style. If you are going for a high quiff, use your fingers to lift the hair upwards and backwards. If you prefer a more natural look, use a comb to style the hair into shape.
Q: What hair length is best for a pompadour?
A: The hair on top of your head should be longer than the hair on the sides and back. However, the length of the hair on top is up to personal preference. Some people might prefer longer hair that can be styled into a dramatic quiff, whereas others might opt for a shorter, more natural-looking pompadour.
Q: What is the difference between a pompadour and a quiff?
A: A quiff is a hairstyle that features short hair on the sides and longer hair on top that is styled forward and up. The front of the hair is lifted upwards, but the sides are not as sleek as they are with a pompadour. The biggest difference between the two is that a pompadour features longer hair on the sides, whereas a quiff does not.
Q: Is the pompadour suitable for all face shapes?
A: The pompadour can be adapted to suit different face shapes. Those with round faces should avoid a high quiff, as it can make the face appear wider. A more natural-looking pompadour can be more flattering for those with round faces. Those with longer faces can experiment with a higher quiff.
Q: What products should I use to style a pompadour?
A: There are several products that can be used to style a pompadour, including pomade, wax, and gel. Pomade is great for creating a high-shine finish, whereas wax is ideal for creating a more natural look. Gel is great for those looking to create a really strong hold, but it can sometimes make the hair look crunchy or greasy.
Q: How often should I style my pompadour?
A: The pompadour is a hairstyle that requires regular upkeep. Depending on how fast your hair grows, you should aim to cut your hair every four to six weeks to maintain the length and shape. Styling the pompadour should be done daily, using styling products to keep the hair in place.