As we age, our hair tends to thin out, lose its elasticity, and change in color and texture. However, this does not mean that a woman in her 70s can’t have a stylish and flattering haircut. A good hairstyle can make a woman look and feel confident, youthful, and beautiful. In this article, we’ll explore some of the best hairstyle options for women over 70 and answer some common questions about hair care for seniors.
Best Hairstyles for Women Over 70
1. Short Bob: A short bob is one of the most popular hairstyles for women over 70. It is easy to maintain, stylish, and can add volume and dimension to thinning hair. It can also hide a receding hairline or a sagging neck. A bob can be worn with or without bangs and can be angled or blunt depending on the desired look.
2. Pixie Cut: A pixie cut is another great option for women over 70. It is a short and edgy haircut that can showcase the face and add texture to thinning hair. It is easy to style and can be layered or textured to add volume and movement.
3. Shoulder-Length Layers: For women who prefer longer hair, shoulder-length layers can be a great option. This haircut can add volume and texture to thinning hair and can be styled in different ways such as straight, curly, or wavy. Adding layers can also frame the face and highlight its features.
4. Classic Updo: An elegant updo can work wonders for mature women. It can showcase the neck and shoulders and give a sense of sophistication and elegance. There are many types of updos to choose from, ranging from a simple chignon to a more elaborate French twist.
5. Shaggy Lob: A shaggy lob or a long bob can be a stylish and youthful haircut for women over 70. It can add movement and texture to fine hair and can be styled in different ways, such as straight, wavy, or with loose curls.
Hair Care Tips for Seniors
1. Use a Gentle Shampoo: As we age, our hair becomes more fragile and sensitive. It is important to use a gentle shampoo that is free from harsh chemicals, sulfates, and parabens. Look for a shampoo that is specifically formulated for thinning hair or for mature women.
2. Use a Nourishing Conditioner: A good conditioner can help to nourish and hydrate the hair and prevent breakage and split ends. Look for a conditioner that is rich in natural oils such as coconut oil, argan oil, or jojoba oil.
3. Avoid Heat Styling: Heat styling tools such as hot irons, curlers, and blow dryers can damage the hair and make it more brittle and susceptible to breakage. Try to air dry your hair as much as possible and limit the use of heat styling tools to special occasions.
4. Protect Your Hair from the Sun: The sun’s UV rays can damage the hair and make it more prone to breakage and color fading. Wear a hat or a scarf when you go outside and use a leave-in conditioner that contains SPF.
5. Visit Your Hairdresser Regularly: Regular visits to your hairdresser can help to keep your hair healthy and stylish. Your hairdresser can trim split ends, add layers, and suggest new hairstyles that will flatter your face shape and hair type.
Q: What is the best haircut for thinning hair?
A: A layered bob or a shaggy lob can add volume and texture to thinning hair. A pixie cut can also work for women with thinning hair as it can make the hair appear fuller and thicker.
Q: Can women over 70 wear bangs?
A: Yes, women over 70 can wear bangs as long as they are styled in a way that flatters their face shape and hair texture. Wispy or side-swept bangs can be a good option as they can soften the face and add a youthful touch.
Q: How often should seniors wash their hair?
A: It is recommended to wash hair every two to three days to avoid stripping the hair of its natural oils. However, this may vary depending on the person’s hair type and lifestyle.
Q: What hair color is best for seniors?
A: Hair color for seniors should be chosen based on the skin tone and face shape. It is best to avoid very dark or very light colors as they can wash out the face and make it look dull. A subtle shade of brown, blonde, or red can be a good option to add brightness and depth to the hair.
Q: How can I add volume to my hair?
A: Using a volumizing mousse or spray can help to add volume and lift to the hair. Blow-drying the hair upside down can also create volume at the roots. Adding layers or curls can also help to create the illusion of thickness and volume.