A French roll is a classic and elegant hairstyle that has been popular for decades. It is a versatile style that can be dressed up or down, making it perfect for any occasion. Whether you are going to a wedding, prom, or just want to add a touch of glamor to your everyday look, the French roll is an excellent choice.
In this article, we will explore what a French roll is, the different types of French rolls, how to create a French roll, and answer some frequently asked questions.
What Is A French Roll?
A French roll is a hairstyle in which the hair is gathered at the nape of the neck and rolled upwards towards the crown of the head. It is then secured in place using pins or clips. The end result is a sleek and sophisticated updo that is perfect for formal events.
The French roll is also known as the French twist or just the twist. It is a popular hairstyle choice for brides and bridesmaids because of its classic and timeless look. However, it can also be worn for more casual occasions, such as a night out with friends or a day at the office.
Different Types of French Rolls
There are several different types of French rolls, each with a slightly different look. Some popular variations include:
1. Basic French Roll – The basic French roll is the classic version of the hairstyle that we think of when we hear the term “French roll”. It is a simple style that involves twisting the hair upwards and securing it in place with pins.
2. French Pleat – The French pleat is similar to the basic French roll but has more volume and is a little looser. It is created by backcombing the hair before rolling it upwards.
3. Messy French Roll – The messy French roll is a more relaxed and casual version of the hairstyle. It involves loosely twisting the hair and allowing some sections to fall out, creating a messy, undone look.
4. Classic French Twist – The classic French twist is a full twist that starts at the nape of the neck and goes all the way up to the crown of the head. It is a more intricate version of the basic French roll.
5. Side French Roll – The side French roll is a modern twist on the classic style. It involves twisting the hair to one side rather than straight up.
Creating a French Roll
Now that we know what a French roll is and the different types of the hairstyle, let’s take a look at how to create a basic French roll. Here is a step-by-step guide:
Step 1 – Prep Your Hair
Start by washing and conditioning your hair and allowing it to dry naturally or using a blow dryer to dry it completely. Comb your hair to remove any tangles and apply a small amount of styling cream to keep your hair smooth and frizz-free.
Step 2 – Create a Low Ponytail
Gather your hair at the nape of your neck and create a low ponytail. Use a hair tie to secure it in place.
Step 3 – Twist Your Hair
Take the end of your ponytail and start twisting it upwards towards the crown of your head. As you twist, create a roll with the hair.
Step 4 – Pin Your Hair
Once you have rolled your hair all the way up, start pinning it in place using hairpins or clips. Make sure to use enough pins to secure the roll tightly.
Step 5 – Finish The Look
Once your French roll is in place, you can finish the look by applying a hair spray to keep it in place. You can also add accessories such as flowers or a hairpiece to add some extra glamor to the style.
Q: Can the French roll be created on short hair?
A: Yes, the French roll can be created on short hair. However, you may need to use bobby pins to secure the hair in place more tightly.
Q: Is the French roll suitable for all face shapes?
A: The French roll is a versatile hairstyle that can be adapted to suit all face shapes. However, those with round faces might want to try a side French roll to help elongate the face.
Q: How long does the French roll hairstyle last?
A: The French roll can last for several hours, depending on how well it is secured in place. Using enough hairpins or clips and using a hairspray can help make the style last longer.
Q: Can I create a French roll without a hair tie?
A: It is possible to create a French roll without a hair tie, but it may be more difficult to keep the hair in place. Using a hair tie can help you gather your hair more easily and create a more secure base for the roll.
The French roll is a timeless and elegant hairstyle that never goes out of fashion. Whether you want to wear it to a wedding or just add some glamor to your everyday look, the French roll is a versatile style that can be adapted to suit your needs. With a little practice, you can create a French roll that is perfect for you and your unique style.