The shape of your face plays a crucial role in choosing the right hairstyle, as it has a significant impact on your overall appearance. A long face, also known as an oblong face, is characterized by a forehead, cheekbones, and jawline that are all of similar widths, creating a stretched-out appearance. To balance out the length of your face, it is crucial to choose hairstyles that add width and volume to the sides of your face, creating an illusion of width. This article provides insightful tips on what hairstyles suit a long face and answers frequently asked questions about oblong faces and hairstyles.
Face Shape Analysis:
Before discussing what hairstyles suit long faces, it is essential to understand the distinct features of this face shape. The length of an oblong face is typically more than its width, and the jawline is usually rounded, rather than angled. This facial structure lacks width at the temples and cheekbones, giving it a stretched-out look. Therefore, while choosing a hairstyle, the primary goal is to add width and volume to the sides of the face. Additionally, a layered haircut can help soften the angles of a long face, creating a balanced and harmonious look.
Hairstyles for Long Face:
1. Bob Cut: The most popular hairstyle for a long face shape is a classic bob cut. This style adds width to the face and falls just below the jawline, making it a perfect choice to balance out a long face. A bob cut can be styled straight or textured, depending on your preference.
2. Layered Cut: A layered haircut is another great option for long faces as it adds volume and movement to the hair, making the face appear fuller. Long layers create an illusion of width while softening the angles of a long face.
3. Side-Swept Bangs: Bangs that are swept to one side can help add width to your face while still maintaining the length. Side-swept bangs can be styled with a bob cut or a layered cut, creating a versatile and stylish look.
4. Pixie Cut: A short pixie cut can add volume to the sides of the face, creating a fuller-looking face. A pixie cut can be styled straight or textured, giving you a chic and edgy look.
5. Wavy Hairstyles: Wavy hairstyles can be an excellent option for long faces, as the waves add volume and texture to your hair, creating a fuller face. Additionally, loose waves add width to the sides of the face, making it a perfect choice for oblong-shaped faces.
1. What hairstyles should you avoid if you have a long face?
Avoid hairstyles that are too long and straight, as this emphasizes the length of your face. Instead, opt for hairstyles that add volume and width, such as layered haircuts, bobs, and side-swept bangs.
2. Can a center parting suit a long face?
A center parting can make a long face appear even more elongated. Instead, try a side parting, as this creates the illusion of width around the face.
3. Is a fringe suitable for a long face?
A fringe can be a great way to shorten the appearance of a long face. However, not all types of bangs are suitable for this face shape. Soft and side-swept bangs are the best option, as they add width to the face while maintaining the length. Avoid blunt bangs that add more length to the face.
4. Can a ponytail be a good hairstyle for a long face?
A ponytail can be a great hairstyle for a long face, as it creates the illusion of width by pulling the hair away from the face. However, be sure to avoid slicked-back ponytails, as they emphasize the length of your face, making it appear even more elongated.
Choosing the right hairstyle for a long face can seem like a daunting task, but with the right tips and information, it is easy to create a balanced and harmonious look. Hairstyles that add width and volume to the sides of the face, such as bob cuts, layered haircuts, side-swept bangs, pixie cuts, and wavy hairstyles are all great options. Additionally, avoid hairstyles that emphasize the length of the face, such as too-long hairstyles and center parting. With these guidelines, you can find a perfect hairstyle that suits your long face shape, leaving you looking and feeling your best.