Choosing the perfect hairstyle that complements your facial features is essential to highlighting your best features and hiding areas that you may not be so fond of. With so many hairstyles trending in the modern world, it can be difficult to determine which one fits you best. However, by taking into account the shape of your face, you can easily find a hairstyle that suits you and fulfills all your desires.
In this article, we’ll discuss how to identify your face shape and determine which hairstyles suit it best. Additionally, we’ll also cover some frequently asked questions (FAQs) that will help you understand the relationship between face shapes and hairstyles in depth.
What Is My Face Shape?
Before choosing a hairstyle, it’s crucial to determine your face shape. The first step is to pull your hair back and make sure your face is clean and free from excess hair strands. Stand in front of a mirror and observe the shape of your face.
There are six primary face shapes:
1. Oval: Oval-shaped faces are longer than they are wide, with rounded cheekbones and a strong jawline. They are considered to be the most versatile face shape, as they look great with most hairstyles.
2. Round: Round-shaped faces have wider cheekbones, a less defined jawline, and a softer chin. Avoid shorter, cropped hairstyles with rounded corners, as they can make your face appear rounder.
3. Square: Square-shaped faces have a wider forehead with a straight hairline and a strong jawline. Avoid sharp, angular hairstyles that will make your face appear wider.
4. Heart: Heart-shaped faces have a wider forehead with a narrow chin. Try and choose hairstyles that narrow down at the jawline.
5. Diamond: Diamond-shaped faces have a narrower hairline and a sharp jawline that’s wider than the forehead. Avoid hairstyles that add volume to the top of your head.
6. Oblong: Oblong-shaped faces have a longer, narrow face shape with slightly rounded cheekbones. Avoid long, flat hairstyles, as they can make your face appear longer.
Now that you know your face shape, let’s dive into some of the best hairstyles suited for different face shapes.
Hairstyles for Oval Faces
Oval faces are the most versatile of all face shapes and can pull off almost any hairstyle available. However, one of the essential tips for oval faces is to keep the hair off your forehead. Consider some of the following styles to enhance your beauty with an oval face:
1. Long Bob: A Lob is a perfect hairstyle that suits oval faces. It’s versatile and typically flatters any age group. It frames your face well and goes well with any hair texture, whether straight, wavy or curly.
2. Side-Swept Bangs: Side-swept bangs work well with oval faces, as they create definition and draw attention to your eyes. Bangs are a great accent to any hairstyle you choose to rock.
3. Layered Curls: Layered curls add volume and texture to your hair. They frame the face beautifully, adding volume to the cheekbones.
Hairstyles for Round Faces
For round faces, the key is to choose a hairstyle that adds definition to the face. Here are some hairstyles that will work with a round face:
1. Asymmetrical Pixie Cut: An asymmetrical pixie cut adds definition and contrasts to the face. It’s also perfect for those seeking a low maintenance and edgy look.
2. Long Layers: Long layers add definition to the cheekbones and elongate the face, making it appear more oval than round.
3. Side Swept Bob: The side-swept bob is perfect for round faces as it elongates the face and creates definition.
Hairstyles for Square Faces
Square faces need hairstyles that soften the strong jawline, making it appear rounder. Some styles that work well with square faces are:
1. Soft Waves: Soft waves soften the strong edges of a square face and add dimension to the hair.
2. Side-swept Bangs: Side-swept bangs create a soft vibe, accentuating and drawing attention away from your jawline.
3. Long Layers: Long layers soften features and add more dimension to your face.
Hairstyles for Heart-Shaped Faces
Heart-shaped faces have a wider forehead and a narrower chin. The aim is to create balance, and the following hairstyles add style and balance to a heart-shaped face:
1. Bob with Side Bangs: Bob hairstyles and side-swept bangs are perfect for heart-shaped faces, as they create volume at the jawline.
2. Long Layers: Long layers add volume and softness to your jawline, making your face appear elegant and balanced.
Hairstyles for Diamond-Shaped Faces
Diamond faces usually have a narrow hairline, a narrow chin, and a prominent cheekbone. Here are some hairstyles that work perfectly with diamond-shaped faces:
1. Off-Center Part: Off-center parts create an illusion of a balanced face structure, giving you a chic and edgy look.
2. Soft Curls: Soft curls add volume to a diamond-shaped face, and they also cover your cheekbones, giving your face a softer look.
3. Shoulder Length Bob: Shoulder-length bobs help balance out your face structure and make it look proportional.
Hairstyles for Oblong Faces
Oblong faces can be described as long and thin with a sharp jawline. The following hairstyles will add balance and softness to oblong faces:
1. Long Layers with Bangs: Long layers with bangs add volume and texture to the hair, making the face appear shorter.
2. Pixie Cut: A pixie cut adds volume and texture to your hair, creating volume around your crown and adding fullness to the cheeks.
1. What hairstyle is suitable for a big forehead?
A hairstyle with a side-swept bang is perfect for big foreheads. The bangs create an illusion of a shorter forehead, making your face appear more proportional.
2. What hairstyles suit a small face?
Short hairstyles, such as a bob or a pixie cut, look great on small faces. They add volume and texture to the hair, making it appear fuller.
3. Can you wear a bob if you have a round or square face?
Yes, You can embrace a bob hairstyle if you have a round or square face. However, it’s important to choose the right bob style that creates an illusion of a balanced face structure.
Choosing the appropriate hairstyle that corresponds with your face shape is essential to accentuating your best features. Remember, a hairstyle that might look perfect on someone else may not suit you, as face shapes are unique and vary from person to person. After determining your face shape, consider the texture and length of your hair, and then choose the style that suits your personality and gives you a perfect look.