When it comes to choosing a hairstyle, it’s important to take your face shape into consideration. Not every haircut fits every face, and what might look flattering on one person may not work on another.
Determining your face shape can be done by measuring the width of your forehead, cheekbones, and jawline with a tape measure. Depending on the ratios of these measurements, you can usually classify your face shape into one of the following categories: oval, round, square, heart-shaped, or diamond-shaped.
Once you’ve figured out your face shape, you can begin to identify hairstyles that will best complement your features. Here are some tips and suggestions to get you started on choosing a hairstyle that works for you:
Oval Face Shape
An oval face shape is considered to be the most versatile and well-proportioned face shape. Almost any haircut will suit an oval face, so feel free to experiment with different lengths and styles. However, to accentuate your features, avoid hairstyles that cover your face or forehead too much.
Recommended hairstyles for an oval face:
– Long layers: Add some movement and texture to your hair with long layers that start at chin-length or lower. This will complement your face shape without detracting from it.
– Bob: A classic bob that falls just below your chin can also work, as it will frame your face nicely.
– Bangs: Side-swept bangs can also look great with an oval face shape, as they add some dimension to the forehead area.
Round Face Shape
A round face shape is characterized by a wider forehead and rounder cheeks. The objective with this face shape is to elongate it and add some angles to make it look more slender.
Recommended hairstyles for a round face:
– Long layers: Long layers that fall between chin and shoulder length can help elongate a round face shape by adding some length and volume.
– Pixie cut: A short pixie cut with some choppy layers can also work, as it will create some angles around the face.
– High ponytail: A high ponytail that is slicked back can also elongate a round face shape and draw attention to the cheekbones.
Square Face Shape
A square face shape is characterized by a strong jawline and a wider forehead. The objective with this shape is to soften the sharp features and create some roundness.
Recommended hairstyles for a square face:
– Soft waves: Soft waves or curls that start at chin-level can help to create some roundness and soften the angles of a square face shape.
– Long bob: A long bob that falls just below chin-level can also work, as it will soften the jawline.
– Side part: A side part can also help to add some asymmetry and soften the features of a square face shape.
Heart-Shaped Face Shape
A heart-shaped face is characterized by a wider forehead and cheekbones that taper down to a narrow chin. The objective with this shape is to add some width around the chin and balance out the forehead.
Recommended hairstyles for a heart-shaped face:
– Bob with bangs: A chin-length bob that is slightly angled with some soft, side-swept bangs can help to balance out a heart-shaped face.
– Long layers: Long layers that start at chin-level can also help to add some volume around the chin area and balance out a heart-shaped face.
– Pixie cut with volume: A short pixie cut with some volume on top can help to balance out a heart-shaped face and draw attention away from the forehead.
Diamond-Shaped Face Shape
A diamond-shaped face is characterized by a narrow forehead and chin, with wider cheekbones. The objective with this shape is to soften the cheekbones and add some width to the forehead and chin.
Recommended hairstyles for a diamond-shaped face:
– Side-swept bangs: Side-swept bangs can help to soften the cheekbones and add some width around the forehead.
– Long layers: Long layers that start at chin-level can help to add some width around the chin area and balance out a diamond-shaped face shape.
– Bob with volume: A chin-length bob with some volume around the crown can also work, as it will balance out a diamond-shaped face and draw attention away from the cheekbones.
Q: Can I still wear a certain hairstyle even if it doesn’t fit my face shape?
A: Of course! These guidelines are just suggestions, and at the end of the day, you should wear whatever hairstyle makes you feel confident and happy. However, if you’re looking to accentuate your features or balance out your face shape, then consider these tips.
Q: I have a very unique face shape – what hairstyles should I consider?
A: There are many face shapes that don’t fit into the traditional categories, and that’s perfectly fine. You can still find a hairstyle that suits you by experimenting with different lengths and styles. Consult with a trusted hairstylist for advice on what hairstyle may work best for your unique face shape.
Q: What other factors should I consider when choosing a hairstyle?
A: In addition to face shape, consider other factors such as hair texture, length, and color. Your lifestyle and persona should also be considered when choosing a hairstyle. A great hairstyle should be practical, easy to manage, and make you feel confident and beautiful.
In conclusion, choosing a hairstyle that suits your face shape can make a big difference in how you look and feel. Be open to trying new styles and consult with a professional hairstylist for advice on what works best for you. Remember, what matters most is that you feel confident and beautiful in your own skin!