Hairstyles are not created equal. While there are plenty of beautiful and trendy haircuts out there, not all of them would suit you. The key to looking your best is to find the right hairstyle that complements your face shape. In this article, we will discuss the different face shapes and the hairstyles that fit them best.
Determining your face shape
The first step in finding the right hairstyle is to determine your face shape. There are six basic face shapes, each with its unique characteristics:
1. Oval face: An oval face shape is considered the ideal face shape. People who have an oval face shape have a forehead that is slightly wider than their chin and prominent cheekbones.
2. Round face: A round face shape has a soft and circular shape. People with round faces have fuller cheeks and a similar width at the forehead, cheekbones, and jawline.
3. Square face: A square face shape has a strong and angular jawline. People with square faces have a forehead, cheekbones, and jawline that are approximately the same width.
4. Heart face: A heart-shaped face has a broad forehead and narrow chin. People with heart-shaped faces have prominent cheekbones.
5. Oblong face: An oblong face shape is longer than it is wide. People with oblong faces have a forehead, cheekbones, and jawline that are all about the same width.
6. Diamond face: A diamond-shaped face has a narrow forehead and chin, with wide cheekbones. People with diamond-shaped faces have a pointed chin and a hairline that is narrower than their cheekbones.
Benefits of knowing your face shape and hairstyle
Understanding your face’s proportions and features is essential in determining what hairstyle will work best with your face shape. Not only will it make choosing a hairstyle easier, but it will also enhance your natural features. When you choose the right hairstyle, it can slim down a round face, highlight your high cheekbones, or balance the angles and curves of your face.
What hairstyles fit my face?
Now that we know the different face shapes, let’s dive into the hairstyles that fit each face shape best.
1. Oval face
The beauty of an oval face shape is that it looks good in almost any hairstyle. If you have an oval face, you can try out a lot of different hairstyles, from long to short and straight to curly. However, the best hairstyle for an oval face is one that shows off the face’s symmetry. You can try out a sleek and straight bob, layered long hair, or a pixie cut.
2. Round face
If you have a round face shape, the best hairstyle to choose is one that adds height and volume to the top of your head and elongates the face’s appearance. Layers, side-swept bangs, and asymmetrical cuts are great options for round faces. You can also try out a long bob, which is particularly elegant and trendy, especially if it is styled with beach waves to add texture and dimension.
3. Square face
If you have a square face shape, you can add texture or softness to your angular features. Short to medium length haircuts with a lot of layers or soft curls are perfect for people with square-shaped faces. Side-swept bangs and a shoulder-length layered hairstyle are also great options to soften the jawline.
4. Heart face
If you have a heart-shaped face, the best hairstyles for you should balance your face’s top-heavy appearance. Any haircut that adds volume to the lower part of your face will work for you. Layered hairstyles and wispy bangs are great for people with heart-shaped faces. You can also try out soft waves, bouncy curls, and a chin-length bob.
5. Oblong face
If you have an oblong face shape, the best hairstyles for you should add some width to your face. Short haircuts are perfect for people with oblong faces as they add volume to the sides and reduce the length of the face. Bob haircuts with layered ends that hit just above the shoulders add fullness to the face. Bangs can help to balance out an oblong face and make it look more proportionate.
6. Diamond face
If you have a diamond-shaped face, your goal should be to balance out your face’s width. You can do this by going for a layered haircut with an off-center part that adds volume to the sides and reduces it at the top. A bob with side-swept bangs or a chin-length bob with curls can soften the angular jawline and chin.
1. Can I pull off a short haircut if I have a round face?
Yes, you can still pull off a short haircut even if you have a round face. The key is to add height and volume to your hair to elongate your face’s appearance. Short haircuts with layers and soft curls are a great option for round faces.
2. Can I wear bangs if I have a heart-shaped face?
Yes, bangs are a great way to balance out a heart-shaped face. Wispy bangs or side-swept bangs can add volume to the lower part of your face and make it look more proportionate.
3. Can I wear a pixie cut if I have a square face?
A pixie cut can be a great option for people with square faces. However, asymmetrical pixie cuts and those with longer layers on top are best since they add height to the face and soften the jawline.
4. Is it possible to have a combination of face shapes?
Yes, sometimes people can have a combination of two face shapes. For example, a person can have an oblong shaped face with a slightly square jawline.
Finding the right hairstyle that fits your face shape can make a huge difference in your overall appearance. It’s important to determine your face shape before choosing a hairstyle, as it can enhance your natural features and balance out your face’s proportions. Remember that while there are recommendations for each face shape, it ultimately depends on your personal preference. Choose the hairstyle that you feel confident and comfortable in.