Getting a new haircut is fun, but trying to decide what hairstyle to choose can be overwhelming. The first step in figuring out the perfect haircut is to determine your face shape. Face shape plays a crucial role in determining which hairstyle will suit you best. The right haircut can highlight your best features while minimizing any flaws. In this article, we’ll help you figure out how to find the best hairstyle for your face shape.
Before determining your face shape, it’s important to know how to measure it. To measure your face shape, you’ll need a flexible tape measure. Follow these simple steps:
1. Forehead: Measure across the widest part of your forehead. This area falls between your hairline and eyebrows.
2. Cheekbones: Measure the widest part of your cheekbones.
3. Jawline: Measure from the tip of your chin to the back of your jawbone.
4. Face Length: Measure from the center of your hairline to the tip of your chin.
Once you have these measurements, you can compare them to the following face shape types:
1. Oval: If your face is longer than wide, and your forehead is wider than your jawline, you have an oval face shape.
2. Round: If your face is as wide as it is long, with your cheekbones being the widest part of your face, you have a round face shape.
3. Square: If your forehead, cheekbones, and jawline are all about the same width, you have a square face shape.
4. Heart: If your forehead is wider than your cheekbones, and your chin is pointed, you have a heart face shape.
5. Diamond: If your cheekbones are wider than your forehead and your jawline is narrow, you have a diamond face shape.
6. Oblong: If your face is longer than it is wide with a prominent chin, you have an oblong face shape.
Best Hairstyles for Different Face Shapes
Now that you know your face shape, let’s dive into which hairstyles will suit you best.
1. Oval Face Shape
Oval is the most versatile face shape and looks great with any hairstyle. It’s recommended to choose a hairstyle that shows off your best features. Soft, layered waves or straight hair with a blunt cut will look great with an oval face shape.
2. Round Face Shape
The goal with a round face shape is to elongate the face, creating a more oval appearance. Layered haircuts with height at the crown will make your face appear longer. A side-swept fringe or bold highlights will also work well with a round face shape.
3. Square Face Shape
The objective with a square face shape is to soften the angles by creating an illusion of length. Hairstyles with volume at the top and bottom, such as loose waves or layers around the face, are flattering on a square face shape. Long bobs or asymmetrical cuts will also work well.
4. Heart Face Shape
The goal with a heart face shape is to balance out the lower half of the face, creating an oval appearance. Longer hairstyles with volume at the bottom, such as a textured bob or beachy waves, are flattering on a heart face shape. Side-swept bangs or a deep side part will also work well.
5. Diamond Face Shape
The goal with a diamond face shape is to soften the angles by creating an illusion of width. Layered haircuts or hairstyles with volume at the sides, such as loose waves or curls, are a great choice for a diamond face shape. A short bob or pixie cut will also work well.
6. Oblong Face Shape
The objective with an oblong face shape is to create width, balancing out the length of the face. Short to medium-length cuts with volume at the sides, such as chin-length bobs or waves, are flattering on an oblong face shape. Side-swept bangs or layers around the face are also recommended.
Q: Can I try on different hairstyles for my face shape?
A: Yes, there are many virtual hairstyle try-on tools available online. These tools allow you to upload your photo and try on different hairstyles to see what works before you make the cut.
Q: What if I don’t want to change my hairstyle?
A: Even if you prefer to keep your current hairstyle, understanding your face shape can help you choose accessories or makeup that flatters your features.
Q: How often should I get a haircut?
A: It depends on the length and style of your hair. Short haircuts should be maintained every four to six weeks, while longer hairstyles can go up to eight weeks between haircuts.
Q: Are there any hairstyles that don’t work with my face shape?
A: While there are many hairstyles that work well with different face shapes, some styles are not recommended. For example, blunt bangs can be unflattering on a round face shape. It’s always best to consult with your stylist before making a big change.
Choosing the right haircut that suits your face shape can be a daunting task, but it’s worth it in the end when you see how great it looks. Keep in mind that these are general guidelines, and there are always exceptions. Consult with your stylist if you have any doubts or questions before making any big changes. By understanding your face shape and choosing the right hairstyle, you’ll be well on your way to feeling confident in your new look.