Whether you’re looking for a new haircut or simply want to refresh your current style, finding a great hairstyle can be a daunting task. With so many different options out there, it can be hard to know where to start. Luckily, there are a few simple steps you can take to find the perfect haircut for you.
Step 1: Consider Your Face Shape
One of the most important factors to consider when choosing a new hairstyle is your face shape. Different hairstyles can accentuate or detract from your natural features, so it’s important to choose a style that works with your unique face shape.
To determine your face shape, pull your hair back (away from your face) and examine the shape of your face in a mirror. There are generally six different face shapes:
1. Oval: If you have an oval face shape, you can pull off a variety of hairstyles. Try a pixie cut, long layers, or a blunt bob.
2. Round: Those with a round face shape should aim for a hairstyle that adds height and angles to the face. A long bob or layered haircut with volume on top can help elongate the face.
3. Square: If you have a square face shape, try a long, soft layer cut with side-swept bangs. This style will help soften the angles of your face.
4. Heart: For those with a heart-shaped face, try a layered pixie cut or a long bob with side-swept bangs. These styles will help balance out a wide forehead and narrow chin.
5. Diamond: If you have a diamond-shaped face, try a layered bob or a long, side-swept pixie cut. These styles will help soften the angles of your face and flatter your cheekbones.
6. Oblong: For those with an oblong face shape, try a long, layered haircut or a side-swept long bob. These styles will help add width to the face and balance out a longer shape.
Step 2: Consider Your Hair Texture and Type
Another important factor to consider when choosing a new hairstyle is your hair texture and type. Different hairstyles will work better with certain hair textures, so it’s important to choose a style that will complement your natural hair.
For example, if you have thin or fine hair, try a short layered haircut. This style will add dimension and volume to your hair. If you have thick, coarse hair, try a long layered haircut or a blunt bob to help tame the hair and add shape.
Step 3: Consider Your Lifestyle
When choosing a new hairstyle, it’s also important to consider your lifestyle. Are you on-the-go and need a low-maintenance style? Or do you have more time to dedicate to styling your hair? Consider how much time and effort you’re willing to put into your hair each day.
If you’re looking for a low-maintenance style, try a medium-length layered haircut. This style can be worn straight or curly and doesn’t require a lot of styling. If you have more time to dedicate to styling your hair, try a short pixie cut or a long, voluminous haircut.
Step 4: Consult with a Professional Hairstylist
Once you’ve considered your face shape, hair texture and type, and lifestyle, the best way to find a great hairstyle is by consulting with a professional hairstylist. A hairstylist can help you determine the best style for your unique features and recommend products and styling techniques to help you maintain your new look.
During a consultation, it’s important to bring in photos of styles you like and be clear about your preferences and expectations. This will help your hairstylist recommend the best style for you.
Q: How often should I get a haircut?
A: This depends on your personal preference and the style of your haircut. Generally, it’s recommended to get a haircut every 4-6 weeks to maintain the shape and style of your haircut.
Q: Should I wash my hair before getting a haircut?
A: It’s recommended to wash your hair before getting a haircut to ensure that it’s clean and easier for your hairstylist to work with. However, if you have curly hair or a specific hairstyle that you want to maintain, it’s okay to come in with your hair styled as it normally is.
Q: How do I maintain my new hairstyle?
A: This will depend on your unique hair type and the style of your haircut. Ask your hairstylist for styling tips and product recommendations to help you maintain your new look. It’s also important to schedule regular haircuts to keep your look fresh and well-maintained.