Having a new hairstyle is a great way to transform your overall look and feel fresh. The step cut hairstyle is a unique and trendy way to add structure and volume to your hair. It is a layered haircut that is generally shorter at the back and longer at the front with sharp angles and steps between each layer. This haircut not only looks flattering but also adds dimension, making your hair appear thicker and bouncier. If you are looking for a change in your hairstyle, then the step cut hairstyle can be a great option. In this article, we will discuss how to do a step cut hairstyle step-by-step, things to consider before getting this haircut, styling options, and frequently asked questions.
How To Do A Step Cut Hairstyle?
Before starting to make the step cut hairstyle, you would require the following tools and materials:
– Shampoo and conditioner
– Hair clips
– Blow dryer
– Heat protectant spray
– Curling Iron or flat iron
Now let’s take a look at the step-by-step process for making the step cut hairstyle:
1. Wash your hair: Start by washing your hair with a shampoo and conditioner that suits your hair type. Make sure to rinse your hair thoroughly with water before using any other product.
2. Part your hair: Divide your hair into three sections- left, right, and back. Use hair clips to secure the sections that you are not working on.
3. Start with the back: Take the back section of your hair and comb it straight. Use scissors to cut the hair straight across at the desired length.
4. Create the first step: Pull the hair between the top of your ears to the back, hold the hair perpendicular to your head. Angle the scissors so the hair is cut at a slight angle towards the back of your head to create the first step. This process needs to be repeated until the back section of your hair is cut.
5. Work on the sides: Unclip one of the sections on the side of your head. Take a small section of hair from the front and the back of that section and hold it out at the same angle as the first cut made. Cut the hair at the same angle as the first step. Repeat the same process for the other side.
6. Blend the layers: The next step is to blend the layers. Take a section of hair from the top of your head and comb it straight. Hold the hair out at a 90-degree angle from your head and cut it at the length you want. Continue to cut each section of hair at the same length.
7. Clean up the edges: Use the scissors to trim the ends to ensure that the hair is even and uniform in length.
8. Style your hair: Once the haircut is done, it is time to style your hair. Apply heat protectant spray to your hair to prevent heat damage and use a blow dryer to dry your hair. Use a curling iron or a flat iron to add some waves or curls to your hair if desired.
Things to consider before getting a step cut hairstyle
1. Hair Type: Not all hair types are suitable for step cut hairstyle. People with curly and wavy hair should avoid getting this haircut as it can make the hair appear bulky and unmanageable.
2. Face Shape: A step cut hairstyle can look great on people with a heart-shaped, oval, or square face. However, if you have a round face, it is best to avoid getting this hairstyle as it can make your face appear wider.
3. Maintenance: The step cut hairstyle requires regular trimming to maintain the structure and sharp edges. Failing to trim the hair regularly can make the haircut lose its shape, making your hair appear messy and uneven.
4. Hair Length: The step cut hairstyle is suitable for medium to long hair lengths. If you have very short hair, this hairstyle may not be suitable for you.
Styling options for step cut hairstyle
There are various styling options available for the step cut hairstyle. Here are some popular ones that you can try:
1. Straight and sleek: Use a flat iron to straighten your hair, and apply a shine serum to give it a sleek look.
2. Curly and wavy: Use a curling iron or a wand to create some loose curls or waves on your hair.
3. Half up half down: Take the top section of your hair and pull it back, secure it with a hair tie or clip. Leave the rest of your hair loose to create a half-up, half-down hairstyle.
1. Will the step cut hairstyle suit my face shape?
The step cut hairstyle looks best on people with a heart-shaped, oval, or square face. However, if you have a round face, it is best to avoid this hairstyle.
2. Can I achieve the step cut hairstyle on my own?
It is not recommended to try the step cut hairstyle on your own. It is best to visit a professional hairstylist as they have the expertise and experience needed for this haircut.
3. How often do I need to trim the step cut hairstyle?
The step cut hairstyle requires regular trimming to maintain its structure and sharp edges. It is recommended to trim the hair every four to six weeks.
4. Can I add some color to my step cut hairstyle?
Absolutely! You can add some color to your hair to make it more vibrant and eye-catching. Consult with a professional hairstylist to find the right color option for your hair type and skin tone.
The step cut hairstyle is a unique and trendy way to add structure and volume to your hair. It is a layered haircut that looks great on people with a heart-shaped, oval, or square face. This hairstyle requires regular trimming to maintain its structure and is best suited for medium to long hair lengths. With various styling options available, you can experiment with different looks and find the one that suits you the best. It is always recommended to visit a professional hairstylist to achieve the step cut hairstyle. I hope this article has been helpful in providing you with all the information you need about the step cut hairstyle.