Choosing a new hairstyle as a male can be a daunting task. With so many different styles available, it can be difficult to find one that suits you and reflects your personal style. However, with a few key considerations, you can narrow down your choices and confidently choose a new hairstyle that looks great and complements your features.
1. Know Your Face Shape
One of the most important things to consider when choosing a new hairstyle is your face shape. Every face has a different shape, and certain hairstyles look better on certain face shapes than others. In general, there are six main face shapes: oval, round, square, heart, diamond, and oblong.
– Oval: This is considered the ideal face shape as most hairstyles suit this shape. It has balanced proportions and allows for versatile hair styling options.
– Round: Round faces are characterized by their rounded chin and wide cheekbones. Haircuts that create height at the crown and elongate the face are ideal for this face shape.
– Square: This face shape has a strong jawline and a square-shaped forehead. Haircuts that soften the features and add volume on top can work well.
– Heart: This face shape has a wider forehead that narrows down to a pointed chin. Haircuts that add volume around the crown and temples can create balance and complement this face shape.
– Diamond: This face shape is characterized by wide cheekbones and a narrow forehead and jawline. Haircuts that add width at the forehead and temples can work best for this shape.
– Oblong: This face shape has a long forehead and jawline that are nearly equal in width. Haircuts that add volume at the sides can shorten the face and balance out the features.
By understanding your face shape, you can determine which hairstyles will suit your face the best and narrow down your choices.
2. Consider Your Hair Type and Texture
Another important factor to consider when choosing a new hairstyle is your hair type and texture. Different hair types work better with specific hairstyles, and some styles may require more maintenance and styling than others.
– Straight Hair: If you have straight hair, hairstyles that add texture and volume can work well, such as a quiff or slicked-back undercut.
– Wavy Hair: Wavy hair can be versatile, but it can also be difficult to manage. Hairstyles that work well for wavy hair include messy, textured styles and shorter cuts that showcase the natural wave.
– Curly Hair: Curly hair often requires more maintenance and styling, but can look great when styled well. Hairstyles that work well for curly hair include longer styles that allow for natural curls to form or shorter, tapered cuts that emphasize the natural curls.
– Thin Hair: If you have thin hair, you may want to consider hairstyles that create the illusion of thickness and volume, such as a messy top or side-swept fringe.
– Thick Hair: Thick hair can be challenging to manage, but can also work well with many hairstyles. If you have thick hair, consider a textured, layered cut or a shorter cut that is easy to style.
By understanding your hair type and texture, you can choose a hairstyle that works well with your natural hair and is easy to style and maintain.
3. Think About Your Style Personality
Your personal style is another crucial factor to consider when choosing a new hairstyle. Your hairstyle should reflect your personality and complement your overall style, whether it’s classic, trendy, or edgy.
– Classic: If you have a classic style, you may want to consider a traditional short cut or a clean, slicked-back look.
– Trendy: A trendy style is all about keeping up with the latest fashion trends. Consider a modern, textured cut or a bold, colorful style.
– Edgy: If you have an edgy style, you may want to consider a bold, asymmetrical cut or a shaved head with a bold design.
By considering your personal style, you can choose a new hairstyle that complements your overall look and adds to your personal style.
1. How often should I get my hair cut?
The frequency of haircuts depends on your hairstyle and hair growth rate. Most people should aim to get their hair cut every 4-8 weeks to maintain their style’s shape and length.
2. How do I know if a hairstyle will suit me?
The best way to know if a hairstyle will suit you is to try it on. Apps like Men Hairstyles Photo Editor or Virtual Hairstyles can help you visualize how a hairstyle will look on you before you get it cut.
3. Can I ask my stylist for a specific hairstyle?
Yes, absolutely. A skilled stylist will be able to recommend hairstyles that suit your face shape, hair type, and personal style, but if you already have a specific style in mind, share it with your stylist to ensure you get the look you want.
4. How do I maintain my new hairstyle?
Maintaining your new hairstyle requires regular washing and conditioning with products that suit your hair type. Proper styling and shaping with the right products will also help keep your hairstyle looking great between haircuts. Your stylist can help recommend the right products and techniques for maintaining your new look.