Are you tired of the same old hairstyle you’ve had for a while and want to switch things up a bit? Or maybe you are looking for a new style that will complement your face shape, hair texture, and natural features. No matter the reason, choosing the right hairstyle is an essential decision that calls for some research and contemplation.
Fortunately, with several styles available, it’s easier to find one that works for you. However, there is more to the process than picking the latest hairstyle trend or what looks good on a famous celebrity. Your hair type, face shape, and lifestyle are among the many factors that will determine which hairstyle will be most appropriate for you.
In this article, we will provide you with tips on how to check which hairstyle suits you and help you find a hairstyle that matches your personality and lifestyle.
What Factors Determine the Right Hairstyle?
Before we get into the nitty-gritty of selecting the ideal hairstyle, it’s important to understand the different factors that influence the outcome. These include:
1. Face Shape: Your face shape plays a vital role in deciding how your hair falls and which hairstyle looks best on you. The most common face shapes are oval, round, square, heart, and diamond.
2. Hair Texture: Your hair texture will also determine which hairstyles work best for you. Hair textures range from straight, wavy, curly, to coily.
3. Hair Length: Your hair length influences the overall look and style of your hair. For instance, short hair often gives a more professional and polished appearance, while long hair provides a more elegant and feminine look.
4. Lifestyle: Your lifestyle will determine how much time you have for hair maintenance, which in turn affects the type of hairstyle you can have. You may opt for a low-maintenance hairstyle if you have a busy schedule or select a more complex style if you have time.
5. Personal Style: What suits someone else may not necessarily work for you if it doesn’t align with your personal style. Therefore, it’s essential to consider your personal preferences before choosing any hairstyle.
How to Check Which Hairstyle Suits Me?
Now that you know the different factors to consider when selecting a hairstyle, let’s delve into the various ways you can check which one suits you best.
1. Consider Your Face Shape: Before choosing a hairstyle, determine your face shape, as this will help you select a style that flatters your features. Start by pulling your hair back and observing your face shape in the mirror. Here is a quick guide on the best hairstyles for different face shapes:
– Oval Face Shape: This face shape is versatile and can pull off most hairstyles. However, avoid styles that cover your forehead, as this may make your face shape appear longer.
– Round Face Shape: For this face shape, opt for hairstyles with layers and angles. A long bob or shoulder-length hair with layers may be a good option.
– Square Face Shape: Choose hairstyles that soften your square jawline, such as long wavy layers or a shoulder-length bob with curls.
– Heart Face Shape: Opt for hairstyles with volume at the crown to balance out your chin. A lob or bob with waves or curls is a great choice for this face shape.
– Diamond Face Shape: Choose hairstyles that balance your strong cheekbones and narrow forehead and chin. A short bob or long hair with layers framing the face may work well for you.
2. Consider Your Hair Texture: The texture of your hair affects how it holds a style, and different hairstyles suit different hair textures. Here are some examples:
– Straight Hair: Straight hair appears sleek and shiny, and you may opt for a blunt cut or long layers. You can also try a sleek up-do or ponytail.
– Wavy Hair: Wavy hair looks excellent in a layered haircut or beachy waves. You can also try half-up, half-down styles.
– Curly Hair: Curly hair is naturally voluminous and suits short to medium-length hairstyles. You may opt for bouncy curls or a layered bob.
– Coily Hair: Coily hair requires more maintenance and can achieve various hairstyles like braids, twists, or an afro.
3. Choose a Hairstyle that Fits Your Lifestyle: Your lifestyle plays a critical role in deciding which hairstyle to choose. Consider how much time you have for hair maintenance and whether you have to style your hair often. A short, low-maintenance style may suit you if you have a busy schedule, while a more elaborate style may work well if you have more time to spare.
4. Consult A Hairstylist: If you’re unsure about which hairstyle will work well for you, visit a hairstylist. They can offer advice on what might suit your face shape, hair type, and lifestyle. They can also recommend styles based on your personal preferences.
Q: How can I find the perfect hair color to suit me?
A: Start by looking at your skin’s undertones to find a hair color that matches them. For instance, if you have warm undertones, consider shades like honey blonde, copper, or chestnut brown. On the other hand, cool skin tones match hair colors like ash blonde, platinum blonde, or black.
Q: How do I know if a certain hairstyle will flatter my features?
A: One way to determine if a hairstyle will flatter your features is by using a virtual hairstyle online tool. You upload your photo, and the tool allows you to try different hairstyles and colors to see what flatters you best.
Q: Can I switch hairstyles often?
A: Yes, you can switch hairstyles often, but it’s essential to keep in mind that hair damage can occur if you overstyle your hair. Frequent hair coloring or using heat styling tools can damage your hair, leading to hair breakage, split ends, and hair loss. Therefore, it’s crucial to give your hair a break from excessive styling occasionally.
Q: How often should I cut my hair to keep my hairstyle looking fresh?
A: It’s recommended to trim split ends every six to eight weeks to maintain healthy hair. However, the frequency of haircuts depends on personal preference and your hairstyling needs.
Choosing the right hairstyle requires research, consideration, and consultation with a hairstylist. Knowing your hair type, face shape, personal style, and lifestyle can help you make a well-informed decision. Furthermore, don’t be afraid to experiment with different hairstyles and colors until you find the perfect match for you.