How To Ask For An Undercut Hairstyle: A Comprehensive Guide
If you’re looking for a versatile and easy-to-maintain hairstyle, an undercut may be just the thing for you. An undercut is a hairstyle where the sides and/or back of the head are shaved, leaving longer hair on top. This style has become increasingly popular in recent years, and it’s no wonder why – it can flatter any face shape, and it can be customized to suit any individual’s style. However, asking your hairdresser for an undercut can be intimidating if you’re not entirely sure how to articulate your vision.
Fear not – in this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about how to ask for an undercut hairstyle, including the different types of undercuts and how to style them. We’ll also tackle some frequently asked questions to ensure you leave the salon feeling confident and satisfied.
Different Types of Undercuts
Before you sit down in the stylist’s chair, it’s essential to have a clear idea of the kind of undercut you want. Here are some different styles to consider:
1. The Classic Undercut: This is the most common undercut style, where the hair on the sides and back is shaved off. The length of the hair on top can vary, but typically it’s around two to four inches.
2. Disconnected Undercut: A disconnected undercut is where there is a substantial contrast between the length of the hair on top and the shaved sides. It looks like two separate haircuts, meaning that the hair on top has no connection to the sides and back of the head.
3. Fade Undercut: The fade undercut is where the hair gradually ‘fades’ from the longer hair on top to the shorter hair on the sides and back.
4. Curly Undercut: This type of undercut is perfect for those with curly hair – the sides and back are shaved, leaving the curls and texture on top intact.
5. Asymmetrical Undercut: With an asymmetrical undercut, the shaved side can be longer or shorter than the other side, creating an edgy and unique look.
How to Ask for an Undercut Hairstyle at the Salon
Now that you’ve chosen your desired undercut style, it’s time to ask your hairdresser for it. Here are some tips on how to do that:
1. Bring a picture: The best way to ensure that you get the haircut you want is to bring a picture of the style you desire. Show your hairdresser the picture and explain that you want an undercut based on that style.
2. Use the right terminology: Using the correct terminology when describing the style you want is crucial. For example, use words like ‘a disconnected undercut with a fade’ rather than vague descriptions that can be misinterpreted.
3. Ask for guidance: If you’re unsure which type of undercut is best suited to your face shape or hair type, ask your hairdresser for guidance. They have the expertise and training to recommend a style that will work for you.
4. Discuss maintenance: Before committing to an undercut, it’s essential to understand the maintenance required to keep it looking sharp. Urge your hairdresser to explain how often you’ll need to get trims and how to style it at home.
How to Style an Undercut
Styling an undercut is relatively simple and versatile, and most hair types can achieve it. Here are some styling tips to keep in mind:
1. Use the right products: Applying the right products will help keep your undercut looking polished and sleek. Pomade or wax is perfect for creating texture and hold, while hairspray gives a glossy finish.
2. Blow-drying It: To create volume and texture, you should blow-dry your hair after washing it. Use a comb to create a side-parting and then blow-dry your hair in the desired direction.
3. Get creative with Your Style: One of the best things about an undercut hairstyle is that it can be dressed up or down to suit any occasion. For a casual daytime look, go for a messy texture, and for a more refined evening look, opt for a slick back or a pompadour.
1. Will an undercut suit me?
Undercuts are versatile and can complement any face shape – provided they are tailored to .your face shape. Consult with your hairdresser on the best style for your face shape and hair type.
2. Will an undercut make my hair look thinner?
No – in fact, an undercut can make your hair appear thicker and fuller, especially if you opt for a longer top section.
3. How often should I have an undercut trimmed?
Undercuts require regular maintenance to keep them looking sharp. How often you’ll need to get trims depends on your hair’s thickness and growth rate. On average, you’ll need to have it trimmed every four to six weeks.
4. Can I still tie my hair into a ponytail with an undercut?
Yes – if the hair on top of your head is long enough, you can still tie it up into a ponytail or bun.
Asking for an undercut hairstyle may seem daunting, but as long as you have a clear idea of what you want and enough references, your hairdresser will give you the best result. Be sure to talk to your stylist about the maintenance required and the right products needed, so you can keep your undercut looking sharp and stylish. With proper aftercare, your undercut will look fantastic, and you can experiment with different styling options to your heart’s content.